IndonesiaHey, how is your travel style? If you prefer traveling on budget, or spending less on your trip, I can show you some travel hacks for cheap flights. There are plenty of ways I believe you can search online, but these are travel tips that I concluded from my experience. Hopefully it helps you on your journey!
1. Always Keep Yourself Anonymous
When searching for airline tickets, you better use browser in incognito mode (with Chrome), and private mode (with Safari). As flight search engine will use the tracking cookies saved on your browser to know your demand, the flight tickets you usually look for will likely increase the price the next time you search. Therefore, you better get the ticket at the first time seeing it, or search the cheap airfare anonymously.
2. Get to Know Different Cheap Airfare Search Engines
There are some search engines that support users to look for cheap flights. Nevertheless, the point is which ones are suitable for your needs, and how to use for the best deals? Below are some that I usually use:
- I see a lot of people go with Skyscanner. Yes, it is my number 1 choice also. Perhaps it’s convenience with the app. Furthermore, it connects to many search engines, airlines, and even some budget airlines. Hence, you can easily search for airfare anywhere easily. Skyscanner also support searching for cheap hotels, and car rental.
- If you want to do a quick comparison between flights, you may want to try Google Flights. However, it’s not fully support everywhere, and it usually doesn’t show cheap flight tickets.
- I just got to know JetRadar nowadays. This search engine support budget airlines, including the best deals offered by various international flights.
- If you are currently in some South East Asian countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, you may want to check Traveloka. It’s a new unicorn of search engines for low cost flights, and hotels, especially in the SEA region, or domestic flights. The platform also supports picking up at airports. In addition, Traveloka offers many flight deals, and combo for discount airfare and hotel from which you can save a lot!
- Alongside, I also want to introduce Kiwi.com. This platform can search really good airfare deals when you combine multi-flights rather than just 1 flight booking. Also, I really like the map to compare flights around user for the lowest airfare, or search destinations based on your travel style.
3. Book Continuous Flights Yourself For Money Hack
If you want to book a fly from point A to C and have a transit at point B, you should consider booking separately from A to B then B to C. Usually it give you a cheaper price using the second way. For this travel tips you must check the layover time, it’s better to have a tight transit time rather than a long one.
4. Have A Solid Travel Plan
This doesn’t mean that you show your travel plan to the travel agent and they will discount the airfare. It’s just because if you have a solid travel plan, you can book an airline ticket long time prior to your trip, preferably about 2 months, not too long. This is definitely a way that you can absolutely find cheap flights.
5. Have Flexible Flying Date
Most of the search engine support users with their ‘price alerts’ feature. Simply click on it and put in your email, they will notify you whenever they find good deals, or cheap airline tickets which match your desire.
Moreover, when you click on ‘show whole month’ (different called on different platforms), it will lead you to a calendar that show the dates with best prices. If you flight date is not fixed, you can easily pick a date with cheaper airfare suggested by the search engine.
6. Loose Yourself From A Rigid Destination
A lot of people just want to go wherever the wind takes them to without a plan or an exact destinations, why not fly to a place with cheap airfare? I’m not sure if this could be one of my travel tips on a budget flight, or I’m just showing features of search engines. Anyway, Skyscanner and Kiwi.com have their features to show all cheap flights of varied destinations. While Skyscanner sorts out the results based on your departure place, Kiwi.com even shows a map with all the possible cheapest prices of different spots. Moreover, Kiwi.com now even updates the map with travel lifestyle, hobby matching.
7. Leverage The Airline Reward Programs
Many airlines in the world join common alliances to offer their users the better experience and benefits when using their services. Hence, anytime you take an airline, you should ask for joining its rewards program. For example, you can earn United Airline miles if you fly with Singapore Airlines. Similarly, you can join Delta rewards program if you go with AirFrance. Even budget airline such as Nok Air has its Nok Fan Club. To me, I have joined the Asia Miles since my first flight with Cathay Pacific 4 years ago.
Every time you fly, your reward account will be record with points awarded from airlines’ programs. Then you can use those points not only to upgrade your your tickets, get free flights, access to VIP services, etc. but also to shop a lot of interesting items.
8. Say ‘Hi’ to Budget Airlines
As the name budget airlines, everything will be served in a budget. The seat is smaller, less space for your leg, no free drinks, no checking luggages, delay sometimes, etc. You have to pay extra to have more services which are always covered in normal airlines’ tickets. As a result, they can offer flights with cheaper prices. Nevertheless, a good thing is, there are still airlines that have some snacks for you such as Nok Air!
The budget airlines usually come with very strict rules which require you to follow absolutely. Hence, you should check those rules carefully. Especially the airport locations, hand baggage allowance, and whether you have to print your ticket or not (some airlines force you to buy print ticket at their airport reception desk in order to flight if you forget).
Below are some budget airlines that you can check:
. Allegiant Air
. Spirit Airlines
. Sun Country Airlines
. WOW Air (cheap flights to Europe)
. Flair Airlines
. Air Canada Rouge
. WOW Air
. Spirit Airlines
. Air Transat
. Tiger Air
. Air New Zealand
. Air Asia
. Tiger Air
. Jeju Air
. Hong Kong Express
. Peach Air
. Dragon Air
. Spice Jet
. Spring Airlines
. Vietjet Air
. Nok Air
. T’Way Airlines
. Vanilla Air
. Aer Lingus
. Aigle Azur
. Wow Air
. Norwegian Air
. Wizz Air
9. Find A Last Minute Cheap Flights?
Nowadays, with Skyscanner, or its app, you can search directly using its calendar feature associated with a chart for specific pricing comparison. Just open the search engine, pick the departure and arrival destinations, choose the dates, and click ‘search flights’. On the next screen, you could click on ‘Show whole month’, it then shows you a calendar with possible cheapest price of the day, and a chart for comparison on the next tab.
10. Hidden Technics That People Rumor
Refreshing the search engine usually. You may find a cheap fly right away. If you are lucky enough!
Making the most from the filter. One time I tried to filter as specific as possible, and the result was amazing. There were some better deals just appeared with 20%-30% cut on prices compared to the default filter. You may use this with incognito/private mode of browser. The result could be even better.
Buying airline tickets on Tuesday and avoid Friday has higher possibility for cheap flights search. Furthermore, Saturday or Sunday is also the good days to figure out the best travel deals. Scott McCartney, the guy who’s in charge of The Wall Street Journal‘s Airlines and Travel Section has revealed this secret! And I always apply these travel tips whenever I’m looking for cheap tickets.
Some people say that the travel tips no. 9 & 10 are myths. Additionally, they even say that flights’ seats are now easily fulfilled by the increasing demand of using airplane of people, so it’s hard to get cheap last minute flights. Whether it is or not, I always try to apply those travel hacks for cheap flights research. Who know, maybe it could help. As a result, it saves my budget a lot. Just do it, at least it costs nothing for the technics to try!
YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS TRAVEL TIPS FOR YOUR CHEAP FLIGHTS, ‘PIN IT’ NOW!