Mapimí Silent Zone – A Mystery Land Challenges Every Scientist
Mapimí “Silent Zone” is a desert region near Bolsón de Mapimí, in the Mexican state of Durango. In fact, the Zone of Silence is virtually undiscovered by the outside world. There are no houses in this area other than insects, reptiles, and small mammals. This place hides a great mystery that the scientific community has not yet found a satisfactory answer to. Indeed, the mystery of this place has resulted from related stories that happened years ago.
The Stories of Mapimí Silent Zone
Story 1 – A Zone of Silence was Discovered by the Pilot Francisco Sarabia
Initially, Mapimí has been known to the world since 1930. At that time, a Mexican pilot Francisco Sarabia discovered something unusual about this special land.
The reason this area is called the “silent zone” is because all radio signals, shortwaves, telephone waves, satellite signals,… seem to be affected by a mysterious polar force that makes them impossible to penetrate inside.
Accordingly, people in the Mapimí Silent Zone cannot communicate with the rest of the world. Experts and scientists have not discovered any traces of human life in the Zone of Silence. Only a few species of plants and animals grow here.
Story 2 – The Athena Missile
Things became even more strange when the US Air Force conducted a test launch of a missile called Athena from the Green River military base, Utah state, on July 11, 1970.
According to the plan, the Athena rocket is programmed to fall in an area about 1,126 km from the launch site (ie White Sands, New Mexico State, USA). However, the strange thing is that the Athena rocket flew thousands of kilometers across the White Sands and toward Mexico’s Silent Zone Mapimí before falling to the ground.
Before this incident, some US military experts said that the Athena missile seemed to be attracted by a strong force towards the Mapimí’s Zone of Silence.
Although experts have conducted many studies on the Mapimí Silent Zone, so far the mystery of this place has not been solved. No one can explain exactly why anomalies occur in this strange land.
Story 3 – A Strange Creature
Another story recounts that a group of investigators received the aid of a strange human being in the Silent Zone after they were knocked unconscious by an unusual dust cloud.
Even the animals are mutated here. There are rare plant species. And above all, it’s the suffocating feeling of many people who have come here to report.
Story 4 – Words of Mouth from the Locals
Forest guardians near the Silent Zone said they have seen mysterious lights in the night and flying objects landing vertically, which caused the bushes below to burn.
Additionally, ranchers in the area reported that at night, the sky here often appears with mysterious halos, strange lights, bright streaks of fire, or “planes landing vertically in the wilderness desert, often leaving burn marks on the ground”.
Evenly, there have been reports of strange humanoid creatures. One rancher told that they are often visited by three long, blonde-haired humanoid creatures. They are two males and one female. All of them speak fluent Spanish. The guests always ask for water, not food or anything else. They say they come from “heaven”.
Actions of the Scientists
The name Mapimí Silent Zone quickly became known. Soon later, researchers flocked here to study these anomalous phenomena. However, so far the main cause has not been explained.
There are many theories that the area was heavily influenced by extraterrestrial and other paranormal influences. But whatever the reason, the Zone of Silence continues to be a hot research topic.
To study this strange land, the Mexican government built a research complex in the Zone of Silence. It’s the Laboratorio del Desierto. The main purpose of the complex is to study the real-life and mineral compositions in the area to determine what was the cause of the signal loss. As a result, a series of strange phenomena in the Silent Zone have been recorded.
First Results from the Investigations
High levels of iron ore have been found here. Yes, scientists have discovered this is a site of meteoric activity. It raised speculation that perhaps anomalous magnetic features are related to minerals present in the ground. Furthermore, if the high magnetism is the result of natural causes, is it possible that many iron-containing objects from the universe have strayed into the far reaches of this earth.
Traveling to the Zone of Silence
You can easily find the destination by typing Zona del Silencio in Google Maps. Yet, the result may frustrates you.
Things You Need to Know Before Traveling to the Point
- There is no village or any accommodation for you to spend 1-2 days there. Unless you are brave enough to camp in the area. Nevertheless, I think you may need a permit to stay at the spot. Also, you can see the ‘Laboratorio del Desierto’ nearby on the map. But don’t be wrong, it’s the institution for the scientists mainly. It isn’t a hotel, you aren’t allowed to stay there.
- It’s weird that I cannot find a direct way from a point to Zona del Silencio in Google Maps. Instead, you can search a direction from your point to the Laboratorio del Desierto. Then you will be able to go to the area.
- According to travelers who visited this area, if you carry a compass as a backup tool, you still aren’t able to use it because the arrow of the compass will not rotate correctly. Consequently, it may cause you confusion in direction.
Where to Stay in the trip to Mapimí
- There is the Hotel Jiménez Plaza which is quite good to spend a stay in the city, Ciudad Jiménez. From the city, it takes about 3h15′ to go to the Lab. Of course, you can easily track the route with GPS to go to the destination.
- Besides that, you may want to stay in a big city like Torreón. At there, they have many choices of hotels at different prices for you to even spend many days. The city does have different services for you to relax and enjoy too. It’s about 174km from the city to the Zone of Silence that probably takes you 3h45′ to go.
In the end, I hope the information in this post brings to you an interest in exploring Mapimí Silent Zone. Just a reminder, please prepare carefully when you decide to go on this trip. And don’t forget to come back and tell me what you figure out at the place. Enjoy and have a safe trip!
IF YOU LIKE THE INFO ABOUT THE SILENT ZONE, PIN THIS POST TO SAVE NOW!